Dodge County History
Dodge County was organized and its boundaries defined by an act of the First Territorial Legislature in March 1855. These boundaries would be redefined between 1858 and its final and current design in January 1860. The county is named in honor of Augustus Caesar Dodge, a United States senator from Iowa who was a supporter of the Kansas-Nebraska Act.
With Dodge County being bordered on the east by the Elkhorn River and on the south by the Platte River, trappers and hunters made up the earliest inhabitants. The earliest settlements were recorded in 1856 along the Platte River in locations that would eventually become the cities of Fremont and North Bend. Because the Morman Trail, which paralleled the Platte River, and the Old Military Road, which connected Omaha with Fort Kearny, passed through the area, freighting became an important part of the county's development. Since settlers grew only enough crops for their own use, it would be a number of years before agriculture would become a prominent part of the area.
In 1860, three towns vied to become the county seat. Fremont received 62 votes, Robinsonville received two votes and Blacksmith's Point received one vote. The later two would cease to exist shortly thereafter. For seven years after Fremont had been chosen to serve as the county seat, county offices and records were maintained in the homes of a few of the officers and in leased apartments. Although the question of building a courthouse had been discussed many times, a consensus could not be reached. A wealthy Fremont landowner donated a city block for the purpose of being used for a courthouse. Original plans drawn for a wooden structure were eventually abandoned in favor of a brick building. Finally, in late 1867, the building was completed. The brick structure was remodeled and repaired three times before a second courthouse opened in October 1890. A 1915 fire destroyed that structure and three years later the present courthouse was dedicated.
The Dodge County Convention and Visitors Bureau was established in 1986. The Visitors Promotion Act of 1980 has made our organization possible through a hotel/motel room tax. The object of the tax is to allow our staff to attract groups, meetings and individual visitors to the Fremont and Dodge County area.
The Fremont and Dodge County CVB has recently moved and can be found in the beautiful Historic Downtown District, at 338 N Main Street in Fremont. Visitors can also visit our Fremont Historic Visitors Center, which opened in August 2000 at 605 N Broad Street, also known as the Fremont Area Chamber of Commerce Building. Since its opening, visitors from all 50 states and countless foreign countries have visited our center.
Mission Statement: Together, we will enhance the viability of Fremont and Dodge County attractions, events, lodging, and related services through collaborations, marketing, promotion, publicity, sales and services, and maximize the contribution of the hospitality industry to our region’s economy.